If you want to look your best and aren’t afraid of getting cosmetic enhancements to help you do so, you may be familiar with a variety of non-invasive procedures. Some popular procedures include:
These cosmetic techniques use either a heating or cooling element or an injected agent to reduce fat cells in the body. They serve as an option for individuals who cannot or are unwilling to undergo liposuction while achieving their ideal look. Some procedures available to help you achieve the look you want include:
- CoolSculpting®: A fat reduction procedure. It uses controlled cooling on the treatment areas. The cooling temperature is low enough to freeze and kill fat cells but not cool enough to damage the surrounding tissues. After the fat cells are frozen, they leave the body through the lymphatic system in the weeks following treatment. CoolScultping® has proven to reduce fat cells by 24% in the treated area.
- Kybella: An injectable treatment that kills fat cells, usually targets the chin area. The active ingredient in Kybella is deoxycholic acid, which aids in the breakdown and absorption of fat. This fat breakdown results in a noticeable reduction in fullness under the chin.
- Emsculpt: A non-invasive procedure that uses high-intensity electromagnetic energy to build muscle mass. It tones and defines the targeted muscles by causing rapid muscle contractions. On average, Emsculpt can cause 20,000 muscle contractions in a 30-minute session. Results are seen immediately after treatment.
- Vanquish: This fat reduction procedure uses heat to kill fat cells. Vanquish heats up the skin to 101 degrees and the underlying fat to 120 degrees. This may sound alarmingly warm, but there has not been any skin damage or burning sensation reported by Vanquish patients. This method of fat reduction mainly targets the abdomen, love handles, and back fat.
- SculpSure: A fat reduction procedure that uses heat to kill fat cells. During a SculpSure treatment, a device with a laser is put on the treatment area. This laser heats the fat cells until they are irreversibly damaged, thus killing them. Then, the fat cells leave the body through the lymphatic system. It can take up to three months to see the full results of your treatment. This is very similar to CoolSculpting®, but it uses heat instead of freezing the fat cells.
An additional method can help you achieve a toned and firm look without spending countless hours and months at the gym. The procedure is known as CoolTone™.
What is CoolTone™?
CoolTone™ is a non-invasive procedure that was cleared by the FDA for use in June of 2019. CoolTone™ differs widely from the previously mentioned procedures by targeting your muscles instead of your fat cells. Magnetic muscle stimulation (MMS) is used to induce involuntary muscle contractions. This is done by using electromagnetic energy. The muscle contractions tone and build muscle fiber, which in turn helps sculpt and firm up the treated area. Common areas targeted include the muscles of the abdomen, buttocks, and thighs.
The FDA has cleared CoolTone™ for use on individuals, but there are some health concerns to keep in mind. For example, CoolTone™ is not recommended for individuals with
- Cold agglutinin disease
- Paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria
There is also a recommendation against using CoolTone™ in the head or heart area. Additionally, the powered-on device should also not be placed on top of metal or electronic implants/devices like pacemakers, intrathecal pumps, cochlear implants, implanted defibrillators, implanted neurostimulators, drug pumps, and hearing aids.
Side effects after a CoolTone™ session are temporary. The common ones are muscle pain, temporary muscle spasms, joint or tendon pain, and redness at or near the site that was treated.
The lasting power of a cosmetic procedure is a crucial point of consideration. Patients who have undergone the CoolTone™ procedure see immediate results after treatment, and the results continue to improve for several weeks post-procedure. As for longevity, results have been seen to last up to 6 months. But, it is recommended to continue with periodic contouring treatments to maintain your CoolTone™ results.
CoolTone™ is a procedure that is done in the outpatient setting. Most treatments can last 30 minutes. There is no downtime needed after sessions so that it won’t interrupt your daily routine. If you are considering CoolTone™ or any other plastic surgery procedure, make sure to consult with a medical professional to review your medical history, obtain cost information, and have your questions answered.